The Last Days Of Guy Fawkes
Was the Gunpowder Plot the most spectacular act of rebellion, or a fanatical terrorist act?
If the bomb beneath the House of Lords had gone off, on the 5th November 1605, it would have been the most spectacular terrorist event in our history. Who was the real man behind the plot?
When Guy Fawkes was executed for his part in the Gunpowder Plot many across Britain celebrated a victory against terrorism and religious extremism. Was Fawkes a prototype jihadist? Or a freedom fighter who used the only available means to fight back against a tyrannical state and religious persecution? Did Fawkes die a fanatic, or a proud martyr?
Counter-extremism expert, Haras Rafiq, Alice Hogge, and Ronald Hutton, amongst others, make their case for and against the man whose actions continue to set the country ablaze four hundred years later.
This Day in History
- 7:30am The Conspiracy Show
- 8:00am The Conspiracy Show
- 8:30am Time Team
- 9:30am Time Team Rec
- 10:30am Digging For Britain Rec
- 11:30am American Dynasties: The Kennedys Rec
- 12:30pm Titanic: Stories From The Deep Rec
- 1:30pm Pearl Harbour: The Truth Rec
- 2:30pm WWII: The Price Of Empire Rec
- 3:30pm The Conspiracy Show Rec
- 4:00pm The Conspiracy Show Rec
- 4:30pm Prohibition Rec
- 5:30pm Great British Railway Journeys Rec
- 6:00pm Great British Railway Journeys Rec
- 6:30pm The 2000s Rec
- 7:30pm River Hunters Rec
- 8:30pm Queen Victoria And Her Nine Children Rec
- 9:30pm Crusaders Rec
- 10:30pm History Erased Rec
- 11:30pm Dead Men's Secrets Rec
- 12:30am In Search Of Aliens Rec
- 1:30am The Curse of Civil War Gold Rec
- 2:30am Battles BC Rec
- 3:15am Ancient Aliens Rec
- 4:00am River Hunters Rec
- 4:45am Queen Victoria And Her Nine Children Rec
- 5:30am Crusaders Rec