The Last Days Of Guy Fawkes
Was the Gunpowder Plot the most spectacular act of rebellion, or a fanatical terrorist act?
If the bomb beneath the House of Lords had gone off, on the 5th November 1605, it would have been the most spectacular terrorist event in our history. Who was the real man behind the plot?
When Guy Fawkes was executed for his part in the Gunpowder Plot many across Britain celebrated a victory against terrorism and religious extremism. Was Fawkes a prototype jihadist? Or a freedom fighter who used the only available means to fight back against a tyrannical state and religious persecution? Did Fawkes die a fanatic, or a proud martyr?
Counter-extremism expert, Haras Rafiq, Alice Hogge, and Ronald Hutton, amongst others, make their case for and against the man whose actions continue to set the country ablaze four hundred years later.
This Day in History
- 7:30pm Titans of the 20th Century
- 8:30pm Portillo's Hidden History Of Britain
- 9:30pm The Vietnam War
- 10:30pm Oliver Stone: Untold History of the US Rec
- 11:30pm Project Nazi Rec
- 12:30am The War Files Rec
- 1:30am Doolittle's Raiders A Final Toast Rec
- 2:30am Eagles Of Mercy: D-Day Rec
- 3:30am The Conspiracy Show Rec
- 4:00am Titans of the 20th Century Rec
- 4:45am Portillo's Hidden History Of Britain Rec
- 5:30am The Vietnam War Rec
- 6:30am Oliver Stone: Untold History of the US Rec
- 7:30am Project Nazi Rec
- 8:30am Mysteries At The Museum Rec
- 9:30am Myth Hunters Rec
- 10:30am The Pacific War in Colour Rec
- 11:30am Titans of the 20th Century Rec
- 12:30pm Portillo's Hidden History Of Britain Rec
- 1:30pm The War Files Rec
- 2:30pm Doolittle's Raiders A Final Toast Rec
- 3:30pm Eagles Of Mercy: D-Day Rec
- 4:30pm The Silent Service Rec
- 5:30pm Dangerous Missions Rec