The Last Days Of Guy Fawkes
Was the Gunpowder Plot the most spectacular act of rebellion, or a fanatical terrorist act?
If the bomb beneath the House of Lords had gone off, on the 5th November 1605, it would have been the most spectacular terrorist event in our history. Who was the real man behind the plot?
When Guy Fawkes was executed for his part in the Gunpowder Plot many across Britain celebrated a victory against terrorism and religious extremism. Was Fawkes a prototype jihadist? Or a freedom fighter who used the only available means to fight back against a tyrannical state and religious persecution? Did Fawkes die a fanatic, or a proud martyr?
Counter-extremism expert, Haras Rafiq, Alice Hogge, and Ronald Hutton, amongst others, make their case for and against the man whose actions continue to set the country ablaze four hundred years later.
This Day in History
- 9:30am Myth Hunters Rec
- 10:30am The Cars That Made Us Rec
- 11:30am India On Film Rec
- 12:30pm The Roosevelts Rec
- 1:30pm Frontiersmen: The Men Who Built America Rec
- 3:30pm Mysteries at the Castle Rec
- 4:30pm Coast Australia Rec
- 5:30pm Great British Railway Journeys Rec
- 6:00pm Great British Railway Journeys Rec
- 6:30pm The Train: The Granville Rail Disaster Rec
- 7:30pm River Hunters Rec
- 8:30pm Families That Changed The World Rec
- 9:30pm Secrets Of Britain's Great Cathedrals Rec
- 10:30pm Jesse Owens Rec
- 11:30pm The Universe Rec
- 12:30am In Search Of Aliens Rec
- 1:30am Time Team Rec
- 2:30am Declassified: Stories of American Spies Rec
- 3:15am King Arthur: The Legend Rec
- 4:00am River Hunters Rec
- 4:45am Families That Changed The World Rec
- 5:30am Secrets Of Britain's Great Cathedrals Rec
- 6:30am Jesse Owens Rec
- 7:30am The Universe Rec