Why Are We Here?
Today science says it has found the rules which explain everything, from particles to galaxies, from genes to our minds. But the explanation comes at a cost, for the rules, some scientists say, have no meaning. There is no question, they say, of asking why, no room for purpose or moral certainty.
But is this really true? Is this what we must accept? Could we really be creatures made to see and seek meaning in a universe where none exists? Or are there, even within science itself, clues that might give us back a sense of meaning and purpose?
In this series Oxford Physics Professor Ard Louis is joined by distinguished science documentary film maker and presenter David Malone. They travel to India, Senegal and the United States to meet some of the world’s best physicists, mathematicians, philosophers, neuroscientists and biologists to discuss and debate questions about meaning and the nature of the universe.
This Day in History
- 2:30am World War 2: The Complete History
- 3:15am The Conspiracy Show
- 3:45am Coast Australia
- 4:45am Edwardian Britain in Colour Rec
- 5:30am Britain's Ancient Tracks Rec
- 6:30am Treasures of Ancient Greece Rec
- 7:30am Battle 360 Rec
- 8:30am Mysteries At The Museum Rec
- 9:30am Myth Hunters Rec
- 10:30am America In Colour Rec
- 11:30am Coast Australia Rec
- 12:30pm Edwardian Britain in Colour Rec
- 1:30pm Hitler's England Rec
- 2:30pm Tales of the Gun Rec
- 3:30pm World War 2: The Complete History Rec
- 4:30pm Dogfights Rec
- 5:30pm Churchill's Bodyguard Rec
- 6:30pm Sacred Sites Rec
- 7:30pm Britain's Most Historic Towns Rec
- 8:30pm Gulag: The Story Rec
- 9:30pm Jesse Owens Rec
- 10:30pm Titanic: Stories From The Deep Rec
- 11:30pm Engineering Disasters Rec
- 12:30am The War Files Rec