Why Are We Here?
Today science says it has found the rules which explain everything, from particles to galaxies, from genes to our minds. But the explanation comes at a cost, for the rules, some scientists say, have no meaning. There is no question, they say, of asking why, no room for purpose or moral certainty.
But is this really true? Is this what we must accept? Could we really be creatures made to see and seek meaning in a universe where none exists? Or are there, even within science itself, clues that might give us back a sense of meaning and purpose?
In this series Oxford Physics Professor Ard Louis is joined by distinguished science documentary film maker and presenter David Malone. They travel to India, Senegal and the United States to meet some of the world’s best physicists, mathematicians, philosophers, neuroscientists and biologists to discuss and debate questions about meaning and the nature of the universe.
This Day in History
- 7:30pm River Hunters
- 8:30pm Queen Victoria And Her Nine Children
- 9:30pm Crusaders Rec
- 10:30pm History Erased Rec
- 11:30pm Pearl Harbour: Heroes Who Fought Back Rec
- 12:30am In Search Of Aliens Rec
- 1:30am The Curse of Civil War Gold Rec
- 2:30am Battles BC Rec
- 3:15am Ancient Aliens Rec
- 4:00am River Hunters Rec
- 4:45am Queen Victoria And Her Nine Children Rec
- 5:30am Crusaders Rec
- 6:30am History Erased Rec
- 7:30am Pearl Harbour: Heroes Who Fought Back Rec
- 8:30am Time Team Rec
- 9:30am River Hunters Rec
- 10:30am Queen Victoria And Her Nine Children Rec
- 11:30am Crusaders Rec
- 12:30pm History Erased Rec
- 1:30pm Pearl Harbour: Heroes Who Fought Back Rec
- 2:30pm The Great War Rec
- 4:30pm The World From Above Rec
- 5:00pm In Search Of Medieval Britain Rec
- 5:30pm World's Greatest Palaces Rec