World War One: The People’s Story
The extraordinary stories of ordinary people whose lives were transformed during the First World War will be told in their own words in a landmark new series, made in partnership with Imperial War Museums.
With narration from Olivia Colman, World War One: The People’s Story tells the real-life stories of soldiers, from privates to officers, their wives and girlfriends left behind, and people from Britain’s villages and cities. They are portrayed by a cast of actors including Alison Steadman, Daniel Mays, Claire Foy, Brian Cox, Romola Garai, MyAnna Buring and Matthew McNulty, who speak their words as they were written in their diaries and letters.
These moving accounts, revealing their intimate thoughts and feelings, offer a raw insight into the profound impact of being caught up in a conflict that would change their lives – and Britain – forever.
Sourced from archives and libraries across the country, selected in partnership with Imperial War Museums, which provided much of the material, and brought to life by actors – each story conveys the hopes, fears, heroism and tragedies of countless ordinary British people… made all the more powerful by the fact that every word is real.
This Day in History
- 2:30am World War 2: The Complete History
- 3:15am The Conspiracy Show
- 3:45am Coast Australia Rec
- 4:45am Edwardian Britain in Colour Rec
- 5:30am Britain's Ancient Tracks Rec
- 6:30am Treasures of Ancient Greece Rec
- 7:30am Battle 360 Rec
- 8:30am Mysteries At The Museum Rec
- 9:30am Myth Hunters Rec
- 10:30am America In Colour Rec
- 11:30am Coast Australia Rec
- 12:30pm Edwardian Britain in Colour Rec
- 1:30pm Hitler's England Rec
- 2:30pm Tales of the Gun Rec
- 3:30pm World War 2: The Complete History Rec
- 4:30pm Dogfights Rec
- 5:30pm Churchill's Bodyguard Rec
- 6:30pm Sacred Sites Rec
- 7:30pm Britain's Most Historic Towns Rec
- 8:30pm Gulag: The Story Rec
- 9:30pm Jesse Owens Rec
- 10:30pm Titanic: Stories From The Deep Rec
- 11:30pm Engineering Disasters Rec
- 12:30am The War Files Rec